There are myriad reasons why you might take advantage of a self-storage facility. Perhaps you need to rent a unit while you renovate your home, sift through a deceased loved one’s belongings or store your inventory for your small business. Whatever the reason, self-storage is the perfect option to keep your belongings and valuables safe and your home clutter-free. But are your belongings protected from damage in the average self-storage unit? How can you keep your items in pristine condition? This guide from Noah’s Ark Self Storage can help you understand what items belong in climate-controlled units and if it’s time for you to upgrade.
Why You Would Need Climate-Controlled Storage
Climate-controlled storage protects items that may be sensitive to changes in temperature or humidity. This is important because some items can sustain damage over time if improperly stored. A climate-controlled storage unit offers the following:
- Protection from extreme temperatures. Heat can cause items to rust, warp or even melt. Freezing temperatures can damage items like electronics, artwork and collectibles.
- Air quality. Clean air prevents odors from saturating upholstered items and inhibits discoloration and molding of delicate items like personal documents.
- Additional protection from pests and dust. Sealed units make it difficult for rodents and insects to gain entry and damage items.
- Peace of mind for storing valuables. Climate-controlled storage is a more responsible option than stashing your items in the attic.
- Protection from humidity. Moisture can degrade materials like paper and rot wooden items.
What Items Need Climate Control
Extreme temperatures and sudden fluctuations can wreak havoc on belongings that are susceptible to high and low temperatures. Certain items can also become damaged if exposed to high or low levels of humidity. These types of items can include:
- Musical instruments
- Fine art
- Upholstered furniture
Maintain your items’ value and keep your belongings in mint condition by storing them in a climate-controlled self-storage unit. The elements can be harsh and unkind to sensitive materials and the last thing you want is to retrieve your things from storage only to find them ruined or unusable.
Which Items Don’t Need Climate Control
Belongings made of plastic, items used in the garden and other outdoor gear do not need climate control. Additional possessions that can be safely stored in a non-climate controlled facility include:
- Lawn decorations
- Watercraft and motor vehicles
- Plastic furniture
- Kitchen utensils and dishes (be mindful of storing glassware at freezing temperatures, as it can become brittle)
In general, plastic products and belongings made for outdoor use don’t require climate control. These things can experience changes in temperature and humidity without becoming damaged or broken.
How Can You Decide
Take into account the length of time you plan on storing your things–even short-term storage has the potential to damage your items if the temperature rises or falls to the extremes. Also, consider what you’re storing and how moisture, heat or freezing may affect those items. Finally, calculate your budget and take into account the value of the items you plan on storing. It may be worth investing in climate-controlled storage to protect what is really valuable to you.
Once you have made your decision, trust Noah’s Ark Self Storage to provide you with the right storage unit to fit your needs. Contact us today to reserve your unit!