We all know that when it comes to sentimental items like wedding dresses, photographs, jewelry and other family heirlooms — they can take up a lot of space. Not just in our hearts, but in our homes as well. Storing them in your attic or basement might seem like the best way to keep them safe, but these items often require a bit more maintenance. Keep reading to learn about the best ways to store your sentimental items!
Whether it be a wedding dress, baby clothes, or winter jackets — storing clothing is a bit more complex than you’d think! Here are some tips to consider:
- Washing/cleaning — Before you pack your clothes away, always make sure to wash them beforehand. If the clothing item is older or delicate, like a wedding dress or vintage coat, it’s better to play it safe and get them professionally cleaned. This step will help maintain longevity by removing stains or residue that can cause mold or odors later.
- Plastic bins — Wedding dresses should be stored in an acid-free box specifically made for wedding dresses. These boxes are made to prevent the dress from oxidizing. Other types of clothing should be stored in plastic bins. While cardboard boxes are inexpensive, they’re easily affected by humidity. Plastic bins snap shut, so you can rest assured no pests, humidity, or dust will get near your clothes.
- Location — Clothing should be stored in a cool, dark and dry environment. Garages or basements might seem like a good choice, but these areas can have fluctuating temperatures which can easily damage your clothes. A climate-controlled storage unit, like ours here at Noah’s Ark Self Storage, is the ideal choice. We make sure to keep our temperatures and humidity consistent, so you don’t have to worry about whether or not your clothes are going against extreme weather.
Similar to clothing, photographs can be tricky to store, if not more so. These are some of the main factors:
- Handling — When organizing your photographs for storage, always make sure to hold them by the edges with clean, dry hands. Touching a photo directly can transfer any oils from your fingers and degrade them over time.
- Archival storage containers — Photos are meant to be preserved, so they shouldn’t be stored in just any album. Cheaper albums often have residual acids, tapes, and glues, such as lignin or PVC, which are known to harm photos. Instead, choose a container that’s specifically made for archival storage. These containers are free of any harmful compounds. It should have dividers, which will help keep your photos separate and organized. Be sure not to overfill your container, however, as this can cause photos to fray or stick together.
- Location —Photographs are sensitive. How well they age depends a lot on how and where they are stored. A climate-controlled storage unit with monitored temperature, humidity and light is your best bet.
If you want to be sure your jewelry lasts for generations to come, then it’ll require some preservation. These tips will help you start the process:
- Cleaning — Making sure jewelry is clean and dry is probably the most important thing to consider. If your jewelry is even slightly damp, this could cause it to tarnish when stored. If you’re unsure how to clean your jewelry, make sure to look up the proper cleaning routine for the specific metals and stones you have.
- Individual compartments — If different metals come into contact, there’s a chance they could cause each other to oxidize. Always separate your jewelry into individual compartments and make sure the box is covered in felt to prevent scratches.
- Location — As we’ve mentioned so far, the more consistent the temperature, the better. Look for a location that’s dark, cool, and dry. You could set up a location in your closet (as long as there are no heating vents nearby) or you could opt for a climate-controlled storage unit.
Storing your valuable items can be a challenge at times, but Noah’s Ark Self Storage offers the ideal storage solution. Our units are spacious, clean, and always have consistent temperatures and humidity. This makes for the perfect environment for storing any and all your sentimental items. Contact us today to learn more about our plans!