It is essential to take care of precious items like antiques and art – especially in self-storage. Here are some helpful tips to make sure no damage comes to what you want to keep safe.
Finding a Secure Facility
We just made this number one stop a whole lot easier. At Noah’s Ark Self Storage, we use extra security measures for storing your valuables, such as temperature and humidity control, as well as security on-site and security cameras all around the facility.
Pack Your Antiques with Extra Care
The more careful you are when storing away your valuables, the less damage that could happen to them. Here are some helpful tips:
- Create an inventory of everything that is being stored.
- Spray any wooden furniture with polish.
- Wrap any mirrors and paintings with a protective cover.
- Make sure you don’t stack any furniture that is valuable. This will prevent causing any additional pressure on it.
- Keep the heavier items on the bottom, and stack any lighter valuables on top, to prevent from breaking the more substantial objects.
Pick A Climate-Controlled Facility
Make sure you secure your items in a unit with climate control to save your antiques from the heat. Excessive heat can cause damage to wood, paint and some upholsteries. Make sure your unit can stay between 60-80 degrees 24/7.
Get Storage Insurance
It’s a common misconception that self-storage facilities automatically provide insurance for your items. Make sure to check your insurance options before signing a rental agreement. Here are a few things to consider:
- If you have a current insurance policy, you’ll want to know if you’re items may already be covered.
- If you don’t have coverage, you can ask if the storage facility provides it.
- You’ll want to know if you’re items will be covered in the case of an accident, natural disaster or flood, to name a few.
For any and all of your self-storage needs, give your friends and Noah’s Ark Self Storage a call and find out the best way to keep the items you love kept safe.