Tiny homes have taken social media and TV shows by storm over the last few years due to their aesthetic nature and financial affordability. They’re an excellent option for people looking for a cost-effective alternative to the expensive housing market or people looking for a simplistic lifestyle. However, as much as tiny homes have their benefits, they also have their drawbacks. A tiny home means tiny home storage. Because of this, Noah’s Ark Self Storage team has compiled some helpful tips to help with some self storage solutions!
What Is A Tiny Home?
While there is no official definition of a tiny home, they are generally considered small houses under 600 square feet. Tiny homes are also interchangeable with micro homes and small homes. Tiny homes have three major attractions:
- They are more eco-friendly.
- They are cost-effective.
- They are great advocates for less consumption.
A tiny home can be built on either a mobile platform or house foundation and consists of a kitchen, bathroom and living area. They can range anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 depending on the location materials and the features a homeowner chooses.
Tiny Home Storage Tips
When you decide to invest in a tiny home, you should keep in mind two essential ideas when it comes to conserving space. Increase storage space by designing the architecture of your home to maximize storage and adapt household items to double as storage space. Before seeking out storage units, here are some tips on integrating more space into your home.
Utilizing The Architecture Of Your Home:
- Install storage cabins under the stairs. This is a staple in many tiny homes and is featured in many blogs.
- Utilize wall space as cabinets. This clears up space on the floor and allows extra storage options on the ground.
- Have floorboard storage. Contrary to what we see in movies, floorboard storage’s only function is not to hide your secret items. They’re great for saving space in your tiny home, too!
- Build cabins into your shower or bathtub. Since bathrooms tend to be the smallest area in homes, this is the perfect way to have all the essential functions of a bathroom! This will also allow extra space for towels, toiletries and bathroom items.
Adapting Household Items For Extra Space:
- Invest in modular furniture. These are essentially storage boxes that also double as furniture. You can rearrange them to become a bench, bed or seating area as well.
- Have raised beds and couches. This opens up space under the beds allowing you to store bins, baskets or whatever you need below sleeping spaces.
- Use both sides of your shelves. This is especially beneficial in kitchens, for example, by using hanging jars on the bottom half of the shelf.
- Use pullout beds and furniture. If the space you live in is extra tiny, these are a great option for creating more room. You can fold them back in place when you’re not using them!
Long Term Self Storage
We hope these tips help free up extra room for you and your tiny home! As great as they are, your home may not have enough space to store everything you need – especially oversized items. When situations like this arise, look no further than Noah’s Ark Self Storage!
We are proud to offer a wide variety of unit types and sizes. Give us a call today to learn more about our storage options!