How Noah’s Ark Self Storage Can Help
It can be difficult to keep a tidy home when it seems like there are too many items filling the space. This is why decluttering your house as you clean is a great way to rejuvenate the space and make upkeep easier.
At Noah’s Ark Self Storage, we are here to share some tips to help you declutter your house without getting rid of items that you need or want to keep.
Importance Of Decluttering
One of the best ways to declutter is to throw away, give away or donate old items that you never use, but sometimes things you don’t use still have value. On average, we wear 20% of the clothes we own and let the other 80% sit in our closets. It is definitely worth giving away part of the 80% of clothes that aren’t in use.
This might apply for other items, too. For example, you may not need your old toaster after buying a new one, but it might be perfect for the next college student in the family. In cases where you can’t use an item but aren’t ready to get rid of it, putting it in a storage facility will get it out of your way until you do need it.
Tips On Decluttering
Walking into a home that is clean and clutter-free can help you feel relaxed and possibly more productive. There are so many declutter tips to consider, so below our team has included some that you can try today.
Start With One Room At A Time
It can be quite overwhelming to declutter a whole house at one time. Don’t tackle it all at once, but instead start by working in one room at a time — whether that be your bedroom, the pantry or your basement.
This strategy will also keep everything in one controlled area that you can return to. Decluttering doesn’t take one day. It can be stressful for everyone involved to return to a messy house if you are trying to declutter everything at once!
Get The Family Involved
It can be a long and possibly lonely process to declutter your home. Why not involve the family and your kids? Ask your kids to clean their rooms and consider giving away toys they don’t play with anymore or clothes they’ve outgrown.
Who knows? Involving the family might make the process more enjoyable. The kids might have fun passing items along, and everyone might have an enjoyable time discovering sentimental items attached to good family memories!
Store Seasonal Items Away
Some items are obvious to keep in your house, while others are not. Holiday decorations and seasonal items are the more obvious belongings to store away.
Decorations, such as special Thanksgiving dishes and Christmas ornaments, play an important part in every holiday — but they tend to get in the way every other day of the year. This makes them the perfect candidates for a climate-controlled storage unit, as they can be boxed up easily and stored away from the house until Christmas comes back around.
The same goes for seasonal clothes. Clothes are easy to accumulate, especially because they change with the seasons. A good tip for decluttering is to put clothes that are out of season into self-storage. When it’s time for winter coats and boots, take them out of your unit, and box up your tank tops and shorts to clear up space in your closet.
Go Digital And Paperless
Have you considered how many items in your home are just paper? In the digital age, you can still keep important information from your paperwork by scanning or taking a photo of them. Then you can shred or discard it all!
You can also prevent the amount of paper entering your home by choosing to go digital when receiving paper statements and bills in the mail!
Long-Term Storage Decluttering Tips
We hope these decluttering tips have helped you develop a game plan on how to tackle organizing your items at home. Through the decluttering process, if you realize you have too many items you have determined are well worth keeping, consider renting a storage unit.
If your stuff is starting to take over your living room or garage, it might well be worth it to have all that extra needed space in your home.
Ready to declutter your house? Contact Noah’s Ark today for the perfect self-storage solution.